Monday, August 15, 2011

Our Engagement Party

As I talked about earlier, here, my parents threw us an engagement party this past weekend at my house in Ankeny. The weather was awesome, the food was amazing, and the people were a blast. Both Sean and I had so much fun with everyone that came. We are so lucky to have such amazing families! Thanks everyone for coming and making the night perfect :)

Earlier Saturday we had few minor tragedies. One being my mom making the strawberry shortcake biscuits....she is notorious for making blueberry muffins with baking SODA rather than baking POWDER. After 2 and a half double batched mixed, baked, and cooled Ashley asked my mom if she was making them right. My mom then looked at the recipe and realized that she again used soda rather than powder. Ashley and I made an emergency run to Fareway for more supplies (we also dropped our brother, Alex, off there for his first day of work there, so cool!).

There were also a few blown over vases for the flowers and spilled water from the wind. However, the wind ended up being a blessing otherwise the bugs would have been out and it also kept it from getting so hot.

My mom had planned a few games for the evening. The first was a game where Sean and I sat in chairs back to back. Each of us took our shoes off and gave one to the other person. My mom asked us questions such as..."Which one of you made the first move? Who does the laundry? Who is in charge of the check book? Which one of you is the first to make up after a fight?" and many others. Sean and I would hold up the shoe of the person that we believe best describes the question. It ended up being really fun!


The other game was an "obstacle course of life". Here is what we had to do:
1. get married (run from one side of the yard to the other with a bouquet)
2. go to work (put on our work jacket and ride to the other side on our bike)
3. do laundry (put towels in the basket and run to the other side and run back)
4. make the bed (put a pillow into a pillow case)
5. have kids (diaper a doll, we then had to carry the doll for the rest of the course)
6. make dinner (pour water in a pan and stir, and then run to the other side of the yard and put the pan on the table)
7. go through life's hard times (open the umbrella and run to the other side)
THE END

A number of couples completed the game, we don't need to say who the winners are. You know who you are :)

Here are some pictures from the obstacle course!




Jon and Emily

Matt and Jana

Ashley and Adam

notice Ashley's face in this one!! my mom is about to run right into her!!

My mom, Dawn, and dad, Dennis

Pat and Katie

As well as the planned games we also had a few bag toss games going. Here are some other pictures from the night:
Some of our flowers for the tables. So pretty!


Alex and Dane playing bags

Tim and Angela's Family

The Greteman Family

Abby and Bridget with Avery and Hailey

Sean and Brian

Heather and Chris

Ashley and Garrett

Garrett and Avery (our ring bearer and flower girl)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had a great night! So sorry we missed it! I know Livi would have loved to see you all. Miss Olivia has named the new farm kittens after you guys, there is Ashley, Amanda and Abby=and of course-Aunt Dawn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I wish you guys could have made it, but I'm sure there will be plenty more opportunities with Jana and my wedding festivities this next year :) can't wait to meet the new kitties!

    ReplyDelete